Creating a compelling online presence for your attraction or tourism/leisure destination is key for creating a great first impression. Here are seven tips to create a compelling online presence which can help to engage your audience and inspire visitors to explore all that you have to offer.
1. Define Your Unique Story and Selling Points
If you can identify your unique story, USPs and what sets you apart, then it’s much easier to stand out from the competition.
Start by identifying what sets your destination apart and craft a compelling narrative around it. Highlight your destination's distinctive experiences that make it an exceptional place to visit.
Share this story across your website, social media, and other online platforms to engage and intrigue potential visitors -
- Use compelling videos and imagery
- Review key pages and elements and see if titles and introductions can be improved by 10% (why not paste them into ChatGPT for suggested alternatives!)
- Create landing pages that target individual visitor types and audiences
2. Showcase Stunning Visuals
When it comes to your online presence, visuals play a vital role. Invest in professional photography or videography to capture the essence and beauty of your leisure destination.
Share stunning visuals of your attractions and activities to entice and inspire your audience. Visual content is highly shareable and can significantly enhance your online presence.
For your website try to ensure -
- You have a mix of close up v.s. Wide angle photography
- You’re showing visitors’ faces and that it’s easy to see they’re having a great time
- Videos are short, snappy, with a broad range of scenes to showcase the experience
3. Engage Through Compelling Content
Create captivating and informative content that showcases the unique experiences your leisure destination offers.
Develop blog posts, articles, or videos that provide insider tips, local insights, or behind-the-scenes stories.
Try to pair this with customized landing pages for key audiences so that guests are seeing relevant information for them.
4. Leverage the Power of Social Media
Social media can unlock insights for you to reach and engage with your target audience. Identify the platforms where your audience is most active and create a consistent social media presence.
Regularly share visually appealing posts, interact with your followers, and encourage user-generated content to amplify your online presence.
You can build your loyal fanbase by offering exclusive offers, early access and more.
5. Optimize Your Website for Seamless User Experience
Your website serves as a digital gateway to your leisure destination. Ensure it provides a seamless and user-friendly experience.
Make it easy for visitors to find essential information, explore attractions, and make bookings.
A well-optimized website will leave a positive impression and encourage visitors to further engage with your destination.
Top areas to check -
- Clear navigation
- Pagespeed and site uptime/reliability
- Accessibility scores (approx. 1 in 10 adults in the UK have a disability which can affect their browsing experience)
6. Drive Social Proof with Reviews and Testimonials
Positive reviews and testimonials are powerful social proof that can influence your potential visitors.
Encourage your satisfied guests to share their experiences on popular review platforms or your website. Respond promptly to reviews, both positive and negative, to show your dedication to visitor satisfaction.
Genuine reviews and testimonials can significantly boost your credibility and attract more visitors to your leisure destination.
Things to check -
- Make sure your trigger campaigns are setup to capture post-visit reviews
- Capture feedback throughout their visit
- Use competitions to incentivize visitors to leave feedback
7. Collaborate with Influencers and Local Partners
Extend your online reach by partnering with influencers or collaborating with local businesses, tourism boards, or organizations.
Engage influencers who align with your brand and have a genuine interest in your destination. Collaborate on content creation, sponsored posts, or influencer takeovers to leverage their reach and tap into their engaged audience.
- Partnering up to offer local ticket bundles / passes
- Partner up for seasonal events and multi-attraction experiences
- Create a local workgroup to share best practices and challenges
- Partner with local tourist boards to drive visitors to the area
- Ensure you have a compelling Local Passes offering to keep the neighbors on side
Building a compelling online presence for your leisure destination takes time, but you can start small by gradually improving each area. Focus on small steps in each area so that your website can showcase your attraction at its best.
Remember, your website should always be the enabler… the tool where you can try new things, update messing and build/measure/test/learn. Make sure you’ve got a fast website provider and system that can keep pace with your marketing.